Our Southern Oregon Region operations has an opening for an experienced Forester. The safe and efficient growing of commercial forests for harvest, in an environmentally and economically sound manner, is the core of this role. This position is based out of our Springfield office and reports to the Springfield Area Manager, with additional accountabilities to the Region Forester for silvicultural activities in the area. It is a full-time, exempt position. Salary level is dependent on skills and experience.
Primary responsibilities include site preparation (chemical/mechanical), regeneration, land exams, vegetation control (chemical/mechanical), stocking control, commercial thinning, fire protection and involvement in other related fields.
- Making silvicultural prescriptions based on science, critical thinking, judgment, experience and data.
- Project layout, using aerial photos, maps, GIS systems and ground reconnaissance.
- Contract negotiation, bidding, field administration and making payments.
- Developing and tracking budgets and key silvicultural metrics.
- Keeping careful and accurate records of silvicultural activities.
- Using computers for planning, tracking, and forestry inventory.
- Fire preparedness, firefighting and other protection functions as required.
- Must model and inspect for safe work practices at all times.
- Act as company representative with landowners, government agencies, and community representatives.
- Being an advocate for industrial forestry.
- Being a role model and mentor for entry level foresters.
- Occasional presentations to colleagues and senior management.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal safety statues, environmental requirements and Weyerhaeuser resource and stewardship goals.