When you join the Society of American Foresters, you are joining a community of forestry and natural resources professionals who represent the entire spectrum of the forestry profession-nonprofit organizations, forest products industry, public lands, universities, and independent contractors. SAF is the collective voice and community for consultants, researchers, managers, field foresters, business owners, specialists, technicians, and more. All forestry and natural resource management students and graduates are also eligible for membership with SAF.
Student Members are full-time students pursuing an associate’s or higher degree* in forestry, forest technology, or natural resources.
Dues are $25.
*All associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctorate degrees with applications in the field of forestry (including urban forestry, forest technology, or natural resources management) meet SAF educational requirements. SAF does not make distinctions in membership dues levels, categories, or sub-types based on degree type.
Unsure if your college or university has an SAF Student Chapter? Click here to access the SAF Student Chapter directory.
Transitional Members are within five years of graduating with an associate’s or higher degree* in forestry, forest technology, or natural resources. Transitional membership dues follow a five-step, annualized sliding scale based on the number of years the member is post-graduation.
Dues are $35 to $75.
Premium Members (previously “Platinum” and “Gold” members) are graduates of an SAF-accredited program/curriculum OR scientists or practitioners who hold an associate’s or higher degree* in forestry, forest technology, or natural resources.
Dues are $180.
Full Members (previously “Silver” and “Full” members) are graduates of an SAF-accredited program/curriculum OR scientists or practitioners who hold an associate’s or higher degree* in forestry, forest technology, or natural resources.
Dues are $125.
Retired Members are former Full or Premium members who are 65 years of age or older and no longer working full time within forestry or natural resources.
Dues are $85; those interested in becoming a retired member should reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Affiliate Members care deeply about our environment and are interested in the field of forestry or natural resources management, but do not hold the educational qualifications required by other SAF membership types.
Dues are $75.
Core Membership Benefits
- Subscription to Forestry Source, a monthly SAF newspaper covering national forestry news and information about SAF programs and activities
- Subscription to E-Forester, a weekly electronic newsletter covering the states, federal lands, biomass, forest products, international forestry, and more
- Subscription to Issues & Advocacy Now, an electronic newsletter from SAF’s Government Affairs and External Relations team
- Opportunity to join a Working Group, which are communities of interest that help members connect with other members in a particular field of interest
- Internship programs for student members
- Join a Working Group and the SAF Online Community
- Access to the SAF Member Directory
- Access to the SAF Career Center where you can post your resume and view current job openings
- Convenience of tracking your SAF CFEs online
- SAF Awards to recognize outstanding achievement and advancement in the field
- SAF National Convention registration discount, up to 25%
- Grants to support your efforts and initiatives funded by Foresters’ and Science Fund grant programs
- Scholarships offered annually for academic achievement, excellence in leadership, and to help the best and brightest travel to SAF National Conventions
As an SAF member, you have access to exclusive savings on a variety of services including insurance,
mass communications, rental cars, and more. See below for more information on the companies we partner with.
- AssuredPartners: Outdoor insurance specifically designed for SAF members – including coverage for consulting foresters, prescribed burn, standing timber, and more
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Save on your next rental with the SAF member discount
- GEICO Auto Insurance: SAF members are eligible for special rates
- MailChimp: SAF Members can save on their mass e-mail communications through MailChimp
- RCM&D: Special access to high-quality and affordable Term Life and Long-Term Disability Insurance plans
- Signature Federal Credit Union: Join and receive low-interest loans, the SAF visa card, and a free checking account