Since 1985, the OSAF Foundation has funded scholarships for outstanding students attending SAF-accredited programs at Oregon State University. Merle Lowden, a prominent OSAF member, spearheaded the effort to establish this fund to promote forestry education for Oregon students and to enhance public knowledge about professional forestry.
Now more than ever students need financial support to make it through college. Tuition and fees at OSU for the 2021/2022 school year are about $12,500. The Foundation’s goal is to provide a scholarship that covers tuition and fees. The Foundation has awarded over $230,000 in scholarships to 42 deserving OSU undergraduates.
The Foundation is administered by a Board of Trustees
At large position 1 – Norm Michaels, Chair
At large position 2 – Kathryn Olsen
At large position 3 – Stu Otto
At large Position 4 – Robin Tucker
At large position 5 – Kendel Emmerson
Position 6 – Jacob Putney, OSAF Chair
Position 7 – Amanda Astor, OSAF Chair-elect
OSU Representative: Randy Rosenberger
The Foundation conducts fundraising through an annual summer golf tournament and through individual donors. The Foundation also recognizes SAF Fellows at an annual spring luncheon.
To donate to the OSAF Foundation, mail your check to Oregon Society of American Foresters Foundation, PO Box 82836, Portland OR 97282.
If you want additional information about the Foundation, contact Norm Michaels at nmichaels2(at)yahoo.com or Andrea Watts at wattsa(at)forestry.org.
Foundation Bylaws (PDF)
Quinton Big Knife
Recreation Resource Management
Students eligible for an OSAF scholarship must meet the following criteria:
- Juniors, seniors, or post-bachelor standing at time of Fall term scholarship disbursement.
- Enrolled full time (minimum 12 credit hours) in one of the undergraduate degree programs of the College accredited by the Society of American Foresters. New student transfers who meet the eligibility requirements may also be considered for this scholarship.
Students eligible for OSAF scholarship support are preferred but not required to meet the following criteria in order of priority:
- Be among the top 25 percent of applicants as identified by the OSU College of Forestry Scholarship Committee rankings.
- Be a current and active SAF member.
- Be a resident of Oregon.
Attributes of the Ideal Scholarship Recipient
The ideal candidate will exhibit a high potential for success and leadership in a forestry-related profession based upon previous personal, professional, or academic experience and future goals and ambitions. The ideal candidate will also provide evidence that they actively participate or plan to actively participate in the SAF student chapter, local professional chapter, or the state (OSAF) Executive Committee, or similar professional outreach activities.
Application and Selection of Awardees
Applicants for OSAF Foundation scholarships will follow the Oregon State University scholarship application process, OSU Scholar Dollars https://scholarships.oregonstate.edu/scholardollars.
The College of Forestry Scholarship Committee will screen applicants to determine eligibility and select awardee(s). Upon receiving consent from scholarship recipients, the Dean or his/her representative will inform the OSAF Foundation chair of the selection(s). The Awards will be publicly announced at a College recognition ceremony in the spring.
Additional Guidelines and Procedures
- The recipient must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 and enroll for at least the minimum 12 credit hours each academic quarter (3 terms) toward their degree program while on scholarship.
- Scholarship recipients may receive OSAF Foundation scholarships for more than one year but must reapply each year and meet the eligibility criteria.
- The number of scholarships and their monetary amount(s) will be set each year by the OSAF Foundation Trustees.
- Scholarships are divided into three equal amounts and credited to the student’s account at the beginning of Fall, Winter, and Spring terms.
- Disbursement of scholarships will be arranged by the Dean’s office to ensure that awardees who maintain their eligibility receive their scholarship disbursement at the beginning of each term.
- These guidelines and procedures may be modified at any time by the OSAF Foundation Trustees.
The OSAF Foundation scholarship is awarded through OSU ScholarDollars- https://scholarships.oregonstate.edu/scholardollars.