Scholarship opportunity for high school seniors studying forestry
The Washington State Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI) Implementation Committee (WASIC) is accepting scholarship applications from students pursuing an education in forestry or natural resources.
The scholarship is available to high school seniors who will be attending full-time (at least 12 units) during the 2022-23 school year, a forestry or natural resource program at one of the following schools:
• University of Washington, Seattle
• Washington State University, Pullman
• Green River Community College
• Spokane Community College
• Grays Harbor College
or any SAF-accredited forestry or natural resource program.
Complete and return the following application form to WASIC postmarked no later than April 1, 2022. The successful applicant will be notified in early June. Electronic application forms are available on the Washington SIC website: www.wasfi.org. Applications must be submitted in paper form to the address on the application.
The mission of the Washington State SFI Implementation Committee is to promote and foster an understanding of the Sustainable Forestry Initiative and to promote sustainable forestry practices on all forestlands in the state.
The current core priorities for the WASIC are to:
• Establish criteria and identify delivery mechanisms for contractor (e.g. logger) and forester training;
• Establish protocols for addressing inconsistent practices;
• Focus landowner outreach efforts on education and technical assistance;
• Focus public outreach efforts on increasing SFI program recognition and support among local opinion
leaders and forestry professionals;
• Protect the integrity of the SFI program;
• Support the efforts of state and federal agencies to report harvest and regeneration statistics.